Friday, March 13, 2020

Planning for March Break

Most public institutions have closed or are preparing to close for the next week and now we're getting an unexpected March Break so there's some planning on what to do for the next few weeks while this happens:

Running:
Last October I ran the ScotiaBank half marathon(21 km) a goal of mine since I was young. I've been thinking if this year's half marathon goes well again, I'll try for a full marathon(42 km) and make qualifying in the Boston marathon an eventual goal. I thought I did pretty well finishing in a time of 1:45 for a half marathon until I realized to qualify for the Boston event you need to finish a marathon in ~3:03. This means I have to shave off 15 mins off my half marathon time WHILE running twice as long. I've got a long way to go. The improving weather and off time should allow me to start running earlier.

Boxing:
I've been boxing for ~6 years now and instructor for 2 years. This week or more off should probably allow me to take some of the classes instead of only teaching.

Teaching:
A friend of mine reached out to me around December to see if I would be interested in teaching programming to children(Scratch) and pre-teens(basic Javascript) once a week for 8 weeks starting in at a community center starting February. I'm assuming it went well as he asked me to teach HTML/CSS basics starting April. Time to plan how and what to teach kids about HTML.

On a side note, for anyone who wants to test quick things for Javascript like a quickly written function or to test some packages without wanting to install express package and all that stuff in Visual Studio Code, I highly suggest Glitch. They have an option for launching a basic web-page or a node-express app (allows users to also install packages), they also have a terminal to interact with your app and the option to import/export your code from/to Github.

Dogs:
I have two dogs, got to take them out for more walks or runs during the time off!

Programming:
During the first class of OSD700 our professor mentioned something pretty interesting that we could look into for Telescope, serverless functions. I'm not entirely sure if we'll have the opportunity to use it in Telescope, but I figured I'll look into it and if the opportunity arises, collaborate with another student who has expressed interest in it on and implement it.

Another is to learn a bit more about deployment: Docker and Nginx. I just kind of use Docker to get ElasticSearch running, but have no idea how to create a docker file from scratch myself as all the hard work was done by @manekenpix and @raygervais

Last goal I have is to also trim down the amount of issues I have assigned to myself. I think I had somewhere around 15 issues...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contains Duplicate (Leetcode)

I wrote a post  roughly 2/3 years ago regarding data structures and algorithms. I thought I'd follow up with some questions I'd come...